top of page
A Family Law Firm

How to legally change your name?

Legal name change is the official process by which an individual can legally alter their name. It typically involves petitioning the court, providing valid reasons for the change, and obtaining a court order to officially adopt the new name.

Understand the legal process: Changing your last name after marriage involves a legal name change procedure. Our family law attorney can explain the steps and requirements involved in this process, ensuring compliance with state laws.

Gather necessary documents: To initiate the name change process, you typically need your marriage certificate and possibly other identification documents. Our family lawyers can advise you on the specific documents required in your jurisdiction.

Prepare and file paperwork: With the assistance of our family law attorney, you'll need to complete and file the necessary paperwork for the name change. This often includes forms to be submitted to government agencies like the Social Security Administration and the Department of Motor Vehicles.

Navigate the court system (if necessary): In some cases, a court order may be required to legally change your name. Our family lawyers can represent you in court proceedings if needed, ensuring that your name change petition is properly filed and presented.

Update official records: Once the name change is legally approved, you'll need to update your identification documents, such as your Social Security card, driver's license, and passport. Your family lawyer can guide you through this process and ensure that all necessary documents are updated correctly.

By working with a knowledgeable family law attorney, you can navigate the legal process of changing your last name after marriage smoothly and efficiently, ensuring compliance with all legal requirements and minimizing potential complications.


Attorneys in Charge

Kendall Lee

Kendall Lee


Dynamic attorney adept in trials, mediation, depositions, and client meetings.

Deena Renee Soliman Braun

Deena Renee Soliman Braun, Esq.

Managing Attorney

Experienced attorney specializing in family law, dedicated to client success


How to legally change your name

Legal Name Change

bottom of page